Skip to Main Content

Welfare Rights

What We Can Do For You

The Association has been planning ahead for Welfare Reform and we are fortunate to have a dedicated Welfare Rights team at Ferguslie Park Housing Association. 

Support & Advice

How we can help and support you

The type of support we provide;

We provide an advice and support service to the tenants and residents of the Association. 

The service is provided 5 day's a week, either by dropping in or by making an appointment. 

Below is a summary of what we can help you with;

  • Benefits Health Check (to ensure people do not lose out on their entitlements)
  • Income Maximisation (via the benefit system)
  • Universal Credit
  • Assistance to complete benefit applications forms
  • Advice and support throughout the application process
  • Assistance when dealing with public departments, such as Renfrewshire Councils Housing Benefit Services, Job Centre Plus (JCP), Her Majesty's Revenue & Customs (HMRC), Department for Work & Pensions (DWP), The Pension Service etc. 
  • Assistance to resolve disputes with public departments
  • Assistance to appeal against decisions made by public departments
  • Provide personal representations at Independent Tribunals

Latest welfare changes that may affect you!

Universal Credit

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) will gradually roll out the delivery of Universal Credit across the UK, which will eventually move all working age claimants of Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), Income Support, Tax Credits and Housing Benefit into one single monthly payment. For Renfrewshire the rollout begins on 18th September 2018. 

This will mean for most claimants who currently receive Housing Benefit but have paid direct to the Association,  you will now be responsible for making the payment for rent as awarded by the DWP.  Contact your Housing Officer for further information on your rent payments if you are claiming or in receipt of Universal Credit.

For further information and guidance please see the Universal Credit poster in our document library.  

Disability Living Allowance(DLA)

This is being replaced by Personal Independence Payments (PIP) for claimants who are of working age.  All existing working age DLA claimants will be invited to claim and be assessed for PIP; please get in touch with the Welfare Rights Officer for assistance if you require it.

Bedroom Tax

The under-occupancy deduction to Housing Benefit (“bedroom tax”) is still being applied to all working age Housing Benefit claims (with some exceptions), although in Scotland this shortfall has been mitigated by Discretionary Housing Payments covering the reduction in benefit by all who apply.  Please contact us if you believe you are affected by this reduction in benefit.

This is just a brief summary of high profile changes and other reforms that are taking place which could affect people according to their own individual circumstances; if you require assistance, please don’t hesitate to contact the Welfare Rights Team on 0141 847 5219/5204 for further advice and information.

Contact our Welfare Rights Team

Robert Findlay, Senior Welfare Rights Officer.

Tel: 0141 847 5219


Ian Davidson, Welfare Rights Assistant.

Tel: 0141 847 5204